Altium is a global software company, with headquarters in San Diego, California, providing innovative PCB Design Software to the electronics industry.
Altium had sales and research and development (R&D) offices in England and wanted to bring the two together. We were asked to design an office that would cater to the differing needs of each team, whilst still allowing for collaboration and synergy between the departments.
Sustainability as a top priority
The client placed a strong emphasis on sustainability, therefore, our design team recommended sustainable materials as well as repurposing unused furniture. 50% of the furniture was reused and the remaining pieces were sustainable:
- Tarkett Airmaster Nazcar Gold used throughout the open plan: First and only carpet product awarded with GUI Gold Plus label/100% recyclable DESSO EcoBase backing/ Cradle to Cradle®️ Gold level certified. Additionally, it also reduces the concentration of fine dust in the indoor air.
- Tarkett Carpet: 100% recyclable / 100% recyclable DESSO EcoBase baking /Cradle to Cradle®️ Gold and Silver Level certified.
- Tarkett Serene Carpet:100% regenerated ECONYL yarn.
- Tarkett Homogenous Vinyl circular selection: recyclable at end of life & Phthalate free.
- Autex Composition wall-mounted acoustics utilised in meeting rooms: PET and carbon neutral.
Acoustics and AV
With the US team having experienced some issues with background noise during meetings, our planning process focused on improving the acoustic performance of the meeting spaces; increasing the specification of the partition and doors.
Unifying the global brand
To ensure the Altium brand remained consistent, the design team took inspiration from the client’s existing offices. From the carpet detailing to glazing and its manifestations; to the tea point island, countertops and the furniture – branding was key.
Defining spaces for employee wellbeing
The COEL team included biophilic elements and access to fresh air, whilst planning the space to deliver open plan desking, as well as communal spaces for breakout and collaboration. The finished space included open plan desking, meeting spaces, a boardroom, cellular office, tea point , recreational breakout, wellness and collaboration spaces.
The completed fit-out reflects the great working relationship between the COEL team and the client, where design boundaries were challenged, and helpful suggestions were made.
- Size: 687 sqm / 7395 Sq. Ft
- Headcount: 50+
- Location: Cambridge
“We could not be happier with the space that COEL has delivered to us. Throughout the project, they communicated and kept us informed of what was happening. We were reassured from the start that COEL could help us with so many aspects of our move and the completed space has far exceeded our expectations. We are delighted with our new office; it is being used and enjoyed exactly as we had hoped. We would highly recommend COEL as a trusted partner to work with.” Keily Higgins, Regional Office Manager, EMEA at Altium UK Limited.