Learn more

News & Knowledge



CAT A or CAT B which do you need?

Before embarking on a new project, it’s important to know whether you need CAT A fit out or CAT B. Your chosen fit-out partner will be able to advise on the different elements involved, but in general they are defined as follows:

CAT A Fit-out

Commercial landlords will generally provide a building which has undergone a CAT A fit-out. In most cases this will include:

  • Raised, access floors (in modern buildings)
  • Ceilings
  • Lighting (based on open plan layout)
  • Basic floor covering (or a contribution to flooring of your choice)
  • Basic decor to external walls
  • Mechanical and Electrical services based on 1 person per 10m2
  • Fire alarm based on an open plan layout
  • Toilets
  • Any shared services i.e. lifts/staircases

CAT B Fit-out

A CAT B office fit out and refurbishment generally follows the CAT A elements.  It is usually the responsibility of the tenant to bring the building up to a Category B standard in order to provide useable office space.  In most cases this will involve arranging and financing the installation of:

  • Partitioning
  • Feature/user specific flooring
  • Feature lighting including relevant switching for cellular spaces
  • Data cabling & IT
  • Décor & finishes
  • Specialist equipment
  • Specialist fixtures & fittings
  • Intruder alarm
  • Access control system
  • Furniture
  • Furnishings
  • Move Management

Related Articles

By using this page you agree to our Cookies Policy